Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Whirlwind tour of CO

I haven't been to CO in a very long time, more than 10 years.  There are those who say you can't go home again.  I would say you can, but maybe you shouldn't stay.  Ha!

I landed at DIA and set out to take the train downtown where I would pick up my rental car.  Car rental rates at DIA very high and you can save by picking up away from the airport.  Nice that there is a train from DIA to Union Station.  It costs $9 and takes a bit longer than expected.  LoDo was HOT HOT HOT (98 deg F) and I barely recognized the city.  So many new buildings and changes.  I decided to head for the hills to cool off and drove directly to the Westin Riverfront in Avon at the base of Beaver Creek CO.  This property didn't exist when I lived in Avon.  

Had dinner with BJW whom I hadn't seen since 2004.  Lots of catching up and reminiscing.  The Westin Riverfront was quite a lovely resort.  My "villa" included a small kitchen and a washer/dryer which came in handy.  I found a non-refundable deal on booking.com.  The town of Avon has transformed since I lived there.  It was all a bit surreal.  

I headed out in the a.m. to take the scenic route south and through the mountains.  

Enjoyed my breakfast at the Turntable in Minturn and was glad to see that Minturn seems pretty much the same as when I left.  

Lionshbead Peak from Minturn



Notch Mt near Leadville

Mount Massive near Leadville

Mount Princeton near Buena Vista
Mountains are pretty but driving in them doesn't do much for me anymore.  The road between Avon and Leadville appeared to have had zero improvements from when I lived in Avon.  Thankfully it was a beautiful day and I didn't have to deal with any inclement weather.  Those switchbacks and that bridge near Redcliffe are a bit unnerving for a most recent FL flatlander.  Took my time getting to Del Norte CO and the adorable Windsor Hotel.  I was working my way towards Trinidad to meet up with DK from Albuquerque.  I chose the hotel as it had lots of reviews for its excellent restaurant and bar.  My dinner and drinks were fab!  
coffee rubbed elk loin with mole sauce, hatch green chile and goat cheese corn bread, baby squash

the well stocked bar with all liquor on middle shelf from CO distillers

woody creek rye manhattan
Del Norte sits at 7884 feet above sea level.  I've been at sea level for years and the altitude in CO was very noticeable.  I drank loads of extra water each day and still felt thirsty and woke up with a headache each day.  My skin felt like shoe leather and I had 2 nose bleeds.  Thank you altitude.  Didn't have much time to acclimate.  My simple room in the hotel was pleasant and they had nice croissants and coffee in the morning.

Off to Trinidad where my roommate from Denver in the 80s came up to meet me.  We stayed in an airbnb with a lovely view above the town.  I had never been to Trinidad in the 21 years I lived in CO.  It has some interesting history. Quite a quirky airbnb in an old home filled with vintage everything.  DK and I spent quite a long time checking out the vintage costume jewelry.  Both of us picked up a vintage rhinestone hair pin.  Need to get a pic of it in my hair.  We had dinner at a funky Italian restaurant with singing wait staff.  Whatever gets you through the day. It was great to catch up with DK.  It's always a great feeling to reconnect with good peeps.  

Back to Denver the following day and had the good fortune of seeing 2 more dear friends.  Headed out in a.m. to PHL.

So much gratitude for my health.  Was good to be back in CO and now I'm ready to get to the beach on the east coast.  

4 comments: