Thursday, July 27, 2017

Furadouro

Getting to Furadouro involved several changes of train and a taxi ride.  All good.  The local trains in PT are simple and run frequently.  I was a bit concerned about hitting commuter traffic from Porto but I found a spot for my huge bag and sat on it.  Not a problem.  

Staying at a bnb on the edge of town.  

On my arrival day had a bit of travel "gripe".  I love that word and hadn't thought of it since I had the issue in Argentina in 2014.  The pharmacist called it that which I find more pleasant the other names. In fact, it makes more sense since when you have it, you will likely complain or whine a bit.  Ha!

Luckily, I had some of the Rx I got in Argentina which worked like a charm (Sertal).  Frankly, I'm not into the whole Lomotil thing.  I just want to get rid of the intestinal spasm pain and Sertal works great. It's an odd drug and one that is (apparently) not available in the USA.  It's a smooth muscle relaxant with some other stuff mixed in, not sure what but it works.  A single dose did the job.  

Just is case you need the definition:  

gripe
ɡrīp/
verb
  1. 1.
    informal
    express a complaint or grumble about something, especially something trivial.
    "they gripe about the busywork"
    synonyms:complaingrumblegrouseprotestwhinebleatMore
  2. 2.
    affect with gastric or intestinal pain.
    "it gripes my belly like a green apple"
noun
  1. 1.
    informal
    a complaint, especially a trivial one.
    "his biggest gripe is that he has lost his sense of privacy"
    synonyms:complaintgrumblegrousegrievanceobjectionMore
  2. 2.
    gastric or intestinal pain; colic.

Free bikes courtesy of the Tourist Info peeps in town.  The tires were a bit low but it had a nice basket and 3 speeds to assist with hills and wind.  There are many kms of bike trails next to the road.  One path I took traveled along the coast where you can hear the ocean but can't see it. There are several other little beach towns just off the trail.  Some have nothing but a single outdoor cafe.  Miles of ocean front land that isn't developed.  Wow! 

one of my beach stops on the bike



lovely off road bike paths along the pine forest next to the coast 


I do believe I'll move on to Spain in a few days.  It's fascinating to me that I can figure out a lot of Portuguese when reading it but I can't understand a word of it when spoken by locals.  Most young people speak some English.  Even when I try a few words, they don't understand me.  In Spain I'll be reminded of how bad my Spanish is, but at least I'll understand much more of what people are saying.  

Sunshine, daydream, walking in the tall trees, going where the wind goes
Blooming like a red rose, breathing more freely,
Ride our singin', I'll walk you in the morning sunshine
Sunshine, daydream. Sunshine, daydream. Walking in the sunshine.
___Robert Hunter and Bob Weir - Sugar Magnolia

No comments:

Post a Comment