Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Bucket List - Port in Porto, Furadouro, Ovar, and Espinho

Hanging in northwestern Portugal. 

Using Furadouro as a base worked out well to explore the region.  My simple room at the Nine Senses BnB was just on the edge of town and a 10 minute bus ride from Ovar where there is a train station.  

Made it to Porto on 29JUL17.  Loved it!  My taxi driver on my last day in Portugal asked me if I like Lisbon or Porto better.  Well, I did get to check off a bucket list item, port in Porto, but I can't really choose one over the other.  Lisbon had a more "hip" vibe than Porto although I saw the best "man bun" in Porto.  

Ovar:  


Ovar street art

the things you can do with tile 

the church in the background is all blue tile, the cemetery was lovely 

on a wall in the cemetery

prayer hands carved from a tree

Porto and some sights.  

Of course the highlight being drinking port in Porto.  Port wine can only be called port if it is bottled in Porto.  This is currently being challenged as many small vinters are making ports and can't afford to bottle and distribute from Porto.  

Tried my first ever white port, in this case a dry white port, however, my favorite was the Colheita.  Colheita's are tawny port that come from a single grape harvest.  They must be aged in barrels for at least 7 years.  



 As in all of Portugal, the tile is everywhere.  Really loved the green tile.  This one was my favourite and almost looks like subway tile only green.  




The main cathedral of Porto:  




I also went to the interesting small museum called

Museu da Misericórdia do Porto

 www.mmipo.pt

http://themuseumtimes.com/museu-da-misericordia-do-porto-mmipo-portugal/

It caught my eye as they had a display of modern art from Serralves - Porto's contemporary art museum.  I knew I wouldn't make to that part of the city after walking all day on steep tile streets so I popped into this small museum, church, multi display space.  They had a huge display about the origins of hospitals and healthcare in Portugal.  Very interesting.

Also a church in the building with this ornate pipe organ.  Check out those pipes! 




From the modern display.  It was an entire room in the middle of a larger space.  You could sit in it.  The yellow was quite calming.  

Headed back to Furadouro via the Sao Bento train station.  Known as one of the prettiest in Europe.





My last day in Furadouro, I took the train to Espinho for the huge Monday market.  





sardines of every size 

lots of olives


dried cod




the last few sites of Furadouro, on to Spain next 


mango and coco gelato


bye bye Furadouro

1 comment:

  1. Love the train station and the market, beach looks awesome too!

    ReplyDelete